Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I am so not used to boys styles!

My son is very unique but very boyish in his style.  I grew up a tomboy but still that did not prepare me for him.  I had one sister who was a girly girl so I really was new to boys styles and clothing.  My son loves just about anything (unless I like it.)and is very laid back.

When I take him to the mall he picks out mostly skater styles.  I could be at fault for that because that is how I dressed him for his first 4 years of life. Once and a while I did dress him preppy.   Now though he goes straight to the baggy jeans and skater shirts and shorts.  I miss when I had a say in his style.  Me and him usually fight over what "fits" him.  He likes it a few sizes big.  I try and tell him its too big but he just grabs it and walks away. I guess I really should give him more freedom in style since he is not hurting anyone with his style.  Trying to be calm and pick my battles I go for something nice to sneak in the pile of clothes. We have to go to the designer shoes though.  He loves Adidas and currently has a pair of Beckham shoes from his grandparents.   He also loves anything monster and alien especially in shirts   He will wear an occasional polo from the mall.


 Truly I think he sometimes would wear just anything.  One day I caught him just throwing on a holy pair of jeans and shirt for going out.  I was not having it.   I made him change the clothes and threw the holy ones out.  I really did not expect this battle of clothes at such a young age.  I do buy my son some dress clothes but they usually end up missing from his closet.  This is a no win situation because I think his father is the one who really hides the clothes or throws them out.  My husband is the same way.  He does not care about appearances.

I guess I could attribute some of his style to him being autistic.  He only likes what feels comfortable and moves from there.  I do not want to push him to far from his comfort zones.  Most autistic parents knows where that will lead.  Meltdown!  More than I like I give in to his baggy style.

There you go.  My son's style and my battle of wills with him.  Though like I said I do give in because of his autism and really go with the flow.  As long as he is not wearing anything obscene, I should be happy... Right!?



I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and jcpenney blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” ( http://jcpenney.socialmoms.com/about)

1 comment :

Joanne Smith

Joanne Smith
Joanne Smith

About Mom In Nebraska

Joanne Smith is the head blogger for Mom In Nebraska. She currently resides in Omaha, NE. with her family. She has a wonderful miracle *her Autistic son Timmy that loves electronics.* Joanne has worked in customer service her whole life and loves it. She worked hard in College and studied a wide variety of subjects from Biology, Chem, Web Design, Early Childhood Education and much more. Now she is a SAHM, Blogger and Homeschooler. Next task for Joanne is trying to take over the world..... or at least her little part of it.